Wednesday, January 4, 2012

goodbye, christmas--hello, ...?

I'm procrastinating putting away the Christmas decor.

See, when we moved into our house 2 months ago, we had little to put on the walls, and the things we did have were all in boxes. I was also nervous about transitioning to a 2-bedroom apartment's worth of decor to a 3-bedroom house's worth of decor--a lot more wall space here, folks.

So, I did what any sane person would do. I bought a Christmas tree and put it up two months before Christmas. Let's just say Adam is a Christmas nut (he gets it from his dad), and he's rubbing off on me. The result? An empty-looking house now felt warm and inviting, thanks to that sparkly, pre-lit, 6.5-foot wonder of a tree.

...Aaaand it's still up.

I'm not much of a holiday decorator outside of Christmas. I've never really been into the kitschy Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff, opting rather for a few classic-looking, pumpkin-related, harvest-y, fall-ish sort of things. The same goes for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Independence Day, and everything in between.

But now, I know it's going to feel sad and barren if I don't come up with something--anything--to fill, in some small way, the Christmas decor void. The good news is, I've got a fireplace mantel in our new home, which lends itself to a lot of decorating options. I do love a snazzy mantel.

So, thanks to my BFF Pinterest, I've got some Valentines-y ideas for post-Christmas decorating. Wanna see? Mmm-hmm. Thought so.

I'm thinking something along the lines of  book-page roses...



Source: 100layercake.com via Darcy on Pinterest

And then some buttons...

Source: etsy.com via Darcy on Pinterest





















Looks like I need to spend some serious time crafting! If anything comes of this... I'll post pictures.

Happy early Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh our tree is still up too! We're moving at the end of Jan, and since it's such a depressing month we decided to leave the tree up just a few more weeks to make the movinhg process more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete